This past week we decided to go with another cold-weather staple as we dived deeper into Fall- Beef Stew. This is one of my husband’s favorites and is ridiculously easy to make. By the end of it, you have days worth of meals that are so delicious.
I don’t know about you, but I look forward to every meal. I want to feel like I’m having a luxurious experience even if it’s a random Tuesday. Comfort foods make me truly feel comforted, and are often much-needed after a busy workday. You will know how “happy” I will be based on what I’m eating. If I have something that gives me happy memories of cooking it, and a good few minutes to enjoy it, I will be so much more happy throughout my day. You will rarely find me eating a sandwich or salad in the lunchroom.
Like they say- some people eat to live, and others live to eat. I am definitely one of those “live to eat” people. I think it’s so important to be cognizant of the ingredients you’re using and being healthy, but if you aren’t enjoying it then you’re doing it wrong.
I’m sharing this super easy slow-cooker beef stew recipe with you all so you can have those wonderful experiences. When I heated this up at work, my coworkers all were asking about it and talking about how delicious it smelled. I promise it tasted delicious too!
It’s important to note that in my directions, I will give you the option to brown the meat first, but I didn’t actually do this step this time. You can decide what you’re in the mood for or what you have time for. Either way, it will be amazing! I hope you enjoy!
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Prep time: 10-30mins Cook time: 11 hrs
- 2 lbs cubed bottom chuck roast
- 3 large carrots, cut into disks
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1-2 large shallots, cut in half
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, cut in half
- 4-5 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 large parsnip, cut into disks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups of red wine (I used Pinot Noir)
- 1 cup of beef stock
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- If browning- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Optional: crusty bread of choice or mashed potatoes for the side.
1. Place all chopped vegetables into the slow cooker. Add spices. Add salt and pepper.
2. (Option 1) if you would like to brown the meat before slow-cooking, coat the bottom of a Dutch oven in olive oil over medium heat. Add stew meat with salt and pepper. Brown each side of the meat. Once it is browned, add to the slow cooker. If you brown, add all liquids & tomato paste to the Dutch oven to deglaze the pan for 1-2 minutes before pouring liquids into the slow cooker.
2. (Option 2) if you do not want to brown the meat, add the meat to the slow cooker. Add more salt and pepper. Add all liquids & tomato paste to the slow cooker. Mix.
3. Once veggies, spices, liquids and meat are in the slow cooker, turn on low for 11 hours. Alternatively, you can cook on high for 4-5 hours but I love the low and slow method.
4. About 30 mins before it’s finished, add corn starch into the slow cooker and mix. Allow it to cook for another 30 mins or so to thicken.
5. Once it’s done in the slow cooker, it’s ready to serve. It goes well with mashed potatoes or some crusty bread with mashed roasted garlic. I used Schar’s Gluten Free Baguette for mine! Enjoy!