The past few months have been a whirlwind of emotions and plans. My school year ended at the end of June, my Nonna passed away a few days later, I got married four weeks later, had an incredible honeymoon in Hawaii, and started a new school year. All of this was in a period of about 10 weeks and was crazy, exciting, and emotional. I am so happy to be settling down and getting back into blogging my food journeys!
With the start of a new school year, my cooking has been sporadic. We have had tons of plans with family and friends, and my usual weekend cooking routine has been thrown off. I have been settling back in and thinking quite a lot about baking as my kids get used to my new last name. Over the past week or so I’ve been staring at some zucchini in my fridge. Last week was filled with an Orton-Gillingham course, Open House, and lots of planning for kids sessions. I did not want to cook after work, and surely did not feel like coming up with some new and exciting recipe for these zucchini. I’ve been thinking a lot about making chocolate chip zucchini bread or muffins as they stared at me from the fridge.
In college, I used to make zucchini muffins in my apartment and my roommates loved them. But that was when I could eat ALL the gluten and dairy. It was about time that I brought this favorite back into my life, and make it gluten and vegan! A friend from college who is an incredible baker shared her recent experience making zucchini bread, and it kick-started me into gear. With a day off tomorrow, pulled-pork already in the fridge and ready for dinner, it was time to give it a shot! Below is the recipe I used for this beauty (adapted from her recipe on allthesweetsandothereats.com)! I used it to make 1 chocolate chip zucchini bread loaf & 12 small zucchini muffins! Enjoy!
GF Vegan Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50-60 minutes
- 3 cups gluten-free all purpose flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 flax eggs (3 tbsp ground flaxseed & 9 tbsp warm water)
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 3 cups vegan chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life brand)
- cooking spray (I used coconut cooking spray)
*This recipe makes 2 loafs of zucchini bread, or 1 loaf of zucchini bread and 12 small zucchini muffins
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Cover a 9×5 inch loaf pan and/or cupcake pan in coconut cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, prepare the flax-“eggs”. Mix the ground flaxseed with warm water and let sit until the water is fully absorbed and the mixture has thickened.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. With an electric mixer, whisk together the flax eggs, canola oil, coconut sugar and vanilla extract until mixed thoroughly (about 30 seconds-1 minute). Stir in the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Then fold in the zucchini and the chocolate chips.
5. Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. For muffin, bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool for at least 20-30 minutes before cutting and serving.
Recipe Adapted from All The Sweets and Other Eats
Nutrition information provided for 24 servings