Thanksgiving has come and gone, but the thoughts of my favorite Thanksgiving foods are still lingering and bringing a smile to my face. This Thanksgiving was quite the adventure- we spent time at both my mom’s house and my fiancé’s mom’s house. With the different locations, this meant I had a lot of cooking to do! Many of our favorite Thanksgiving foods were not originally gluten-free or vegan so I am typically in charge of making sure the foods are friendly for everyone to eat.
By now you probably know I don’t typically love to bake. BUT- my sister was visiting from North Carolina with her girlfriend, and they are vegan. I wanted to make a dessert that I could eat that would work for them too. I remembered my sister devouring a pecan pie a few years back and realized this had to be it.
I was a little bit worried about making the pecan pie since I rarely bake, but I have to say, I was impressed! Everyone who had it loved it, and it was sooooooo ridiculously easy to make there is no reason not to try it out! It did turn out a little bit hard to scoop so we didn’t have that traditional “pie” triangle shape when it was cut. It definitely was more like a pecan pie scoop. But who cares, it was delicious!
Gluten Free & Vegan Pecan Pie
- 1 1/2 cup of hazelnut flour
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal, 2 1/2 tbsp water- mix and let sit for 5 mins)
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups of chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, softened
- 2 flax eggs
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup whole pecans to top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the crust- mix hazelnut flour, softened coconut oil, flax egg, maple syrup, and sea salt. Press into pie pan & refrigerate for 15 minutes. Then, bake for 10 minutes to pre-cook crust.
- Make the filling- mix coconut sugar, maple syrup, softened coconut oil, chopped pecans, 2 flax eggs, and sea salt. Pour into the pie crust. Top with whole pecans.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the middle is firm. The middle will be bubbling when you take it out, but will stop after a few minutes of chilling.
- Enjoy warm with your favorite non-dairy ice-cream!